For the 6th consecutive year, the European Society of Digestive Oncology will offer Trainee Fellowships during the year 2019, supporting trainees in Digestive Oncology to spend at least 2 weeks at an ESDO certified training centre. The fellowships create the unique chance for young gastroenterologists, medical oncologists, general surgeons (GI focus) and radiation oncologists to expand their experience in the interdisciplinary treatment of GI cancer in an excellent setting with all specialties established (surgery, medical oncology, gastroenterology, pathology, radiology, radiation therapy). The fellowships are competitive and applicants require support from the head of their own department. The fellowship grant amounts to € 1.000 per awardee.
The selection process will start after the application deadline, giving equal chances to all applicants. Notifications will be sent out by the end of January 2019.
1. Applicants must be ESDO Member (providing their ESDO Member ID) or apply for ESDO membership.
2. Applicants must be specialised in gastroenterology, medical oncology, general surgery or radiation oncology and must dispose of at least 3 years of clinical experience.
3. Applicants must be under the age of 40 years.
4. Applicants preferably come from a European country (for organisational reasons & cost-benefit ratio).
5. Applicants must be proficient in English.
6. The full application must be submitted by the published deadline
7. No later applications will be accepted.
8. Only complete applications, including the following mandatory components will be processed.
9. The fellowship must start and end in the year of its confirmation.
Application details for download: ESDO Fellowship Call & Application_2017
1. Complete application form including
2. Curriculum Vitae of max. 2 pages (A4), including
3. Motivation letter (max. 1200 words):
4. Letter of recommendation (max. 800 words):
The letter must carry the institute's letterhead, duly signed and dated by the head of your departement. The letter of recommendation must include:
All application documents (1.-4.) have to be forwarded to the ESDO Office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. All documents / attachments must be sent in PDF, MS Word or MS Excel format although PDF is preferred to ensure proper conversion. The forwarded documents should not be password protected or they may not convert properly. All hand signed documents must be scanned and included in the application.
Please find below the current list of ESDO certified training centres and host institutions
Kindly pay attention to the specific host profiles and requirements described in detail when clicking on the institutions below!
Selection of applicants follows a two step approach:
A pre-selection of applicants is made by the Members of the ESDO Governing Board on the basis of scientific and expert evaluation of your application. The following criteria will be assessed:
The final selection of the awardees is done via Skype interviews led by the local host.
Notifications will be given by January 31, 2018 at the latest.
For all changes or inquiries to you application, please contact Liz Tanzer at email@example.com. Your message must include your full name and your ESDO Member ID.
ESDO will require a structured summary report on the visit within one month after termination. The host must approve this short summary.
The ESDO Trainee Fellowship is a short term educational visit that is for the duration of at least 2 weeks. The grant will be transferred in one single payment to the fellow´s account upon the fellow’s claim at the start of the fellowship. It is not intended to completely cover all travel costs or normal salary levels. Travel, accommodation, costs for visa, passports etc. are in the responsibility of the fellow. The fellowship does not cover medical care, insurance or taxes. ESDO Fellowship Award recipients are not insured by ESDO either for medical expenses or for accidents that may occur during travel to and from the host institute and their place of residence, or during their stay. ESDO is not liable for the actions, activities, health or safety of the fellows.
phone: +43 (0) 1 405 13 83 - 38
fax: +43 (0) 1 407 82 74
e-mail: info@ esdo.eu
office: Alser Strasse 4, 1090 Vienna
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the User Agreement, the General Terms and Conditions and the Data Protection Statement.